New Haven-based Independent Software, a software product development company, and the producers of The Whiteboard community platform for Connecticut startups, and creators of the A100 apprenticeship program for aspiring software developers, is hiring an Online Marketing Coordinator.
About the Role
The position of Online Marketing Coordinator is responsible for delivering on content marketing efforts that generates strategic relationships for the company and our community. Because we help strengthen Connecticut’s startup community while we grow the business, we need a candidate who measures success on helping the company, and those who are helped by our company.
The candidate will work on all of Independent Software’s three programs: product labs, The Whiteboard and A100, as well as assist in supporting the company brand. We are looking for someone who is selfdriven, extremely passionate about the art and science of online marketing, unafraid to share honest and creative ideas, and able to translate information into meaningful and engaging content.
The ideal candidate will be obsessed with developing online content that generates measurable outcomes for the Independent Software business and the startup community atlarge. The content we create is not just consumed, but is actively used by our audiences to move their ventures forward by raising their visibility, discovering new ideas, developing connections, and generating positivity for being a part of Connecticut’s startup culture. Developing engaging content that builds relationships and can be measured for effectiveness, is a passion that will already exist in the right candidate.
This position will assist the Director of Community Development with day-to-day communications, content generation, and marketing operations. The role specifically requires the candidate to:
- In tandem with the strategy set by the team, be accountable for constructing, curating, and maintaining a rigorous monthly publishing calendar for The Whiteboard
- Take ownership of sourcing content from inhouse and outside contributors to The Whiteboard
- Deliver on tactical projects set forth by the company marketing strategy (i.e., updating Independent Software website or managing the creation of an event flyer)
- Compile and utilize reports on web analytics
- Write and edit copy for email, web, and print
- Assist in growing the company’s networks and pipeline through social media, email, media partners and PR
- Assist in reading and responding to comments online, and bringing forth new ideas about how to engage audiences further
- Help coordinate monthly events
- Attend events (many are after hours), take photos, conduct interviews and write recaps
- Conduct market and customer research
- Stay on top of the latest and greatest online marketing tools
- Provide tactical and marketing support for The Whiteboard, Product Labs, and A100
In addition, the right candidate will have an interest in business and entrepreneurship. Candidates who have had experience in business writing and/or online marketing and publishing will rise to the top of our “A” list.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- BA in Marketing, English, or related area
- Excellent writing and communication skills that balance professionalism with the ability to create shareable content
- Prior work experience in online marketing or a media organization
- Excellent project management capabilities and proven ability to organize and execute projects on time or ahead of schedule
- Takecharge ability and fearless approach to meeting and conversing with people
- Experience using blogging platforms and social media
- Interviewing skills that goes beyond taking notes
- Proven writing and proofreading ability
- Passion for writing and the exciting field of online marketing
- Knowledge of SalesForce, WordPress, Constant Contact and other tools
- Photography, design, and use of online tools for creative output
- Experience using social media tools for monitoring/organizing/analyzing
- Experience with Google Analytics and data reporting
- Involvement in/management of an editorial process
- Understanding of the startup/entrepreneur world and the Agile process/workflow
If interested, submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Independent Software
Independent Software believes that entrepreneurship is essential to building a vibrant social and economic future for us all. Our vision is to make our company and the community that surrounds it the best place for an early stage entrepreneur to build their product, build their team, and learn.
Three essential programs help us realize this vision: Product Labs, to help ventures build exceptional web and mobile software products; A100, to train and place top software development talent with high-growth potential companies; and The Whiteboard, to connect and promote Connecticut’s vast startup community. Startups that are serious about giving their idea the best chance of success, join us and our diverse network of entrepreneurs, investors, and supporters.
We love what we do. We’re looking for hard-working, fun, and creative people who are motivated by helping others succeed and want to be a part of Connecticut’s exciting and growing startup community.